I want to introduce to you today an amazing non-profit organization called: Halfsies. It was started by one of my very good friends, Sydney. I am very inspired by what they are doing. Read below to find out more!
Halfsies addresses 3 major issues:
1) Oversized Food Portions. “Most restaurant serving sizes are 2 to 4 times the government’s recommended serving sizes.” –usatoday.com
2) Excessive Food Waste. “About 40 percent of the food produced in the United States isn’t consumed. Every day Americans waste enough food to fill the Rose Bowl. And our national food waste habit is on the upswing: We waste 50% more food today than we did in 1974.” –Jonathan Bloom, author of American Wasteland
3) Local & Global Hunger. “In 2009, 50.2 million Americans lived in food insecure households, 33 million adults and 17.2 million children.” –feedingamerica.org
These problems are not unrelated. They share a common denominator: food. And yet, we continue to see rising rates without clear, sustainable solutions. What if by reducing portion sizes and food waste in America, we could support the fight against hunger and poverty? Halfsies offers an innovative solution to all three with one simple choice.
Here are just a few of the social and environmental benefits of Halfsies:
1) American consumers will make better choices when dining out — eating healthier, wasting less, and giving to a worthy cause (without spending an extra penny)
2) Food waste will be reduced, which means a lower negative impact on the environment, less waste heading to landfills, lower methane emissions (a greenhouse gas that is heating up our planet), and reduced costs incurred by the many effects of food waste
3) Communities will grow stronger as a majority of Halfsies funds are fed back into the local community, combating the core issues behind local hunger and poverty
4) Global development programs with sustainable and long-term vision will be supported, scaling up their impact on lives and communities in the developing world
5) Increased awareness to the American population about these 3 major issues and the impact their choices have on their local community, nation, and world
How amazing is this?! This will change how Americans eat out and reduce the amount of leftover food that is being wasted! You will definitely want to check out their websites to learn more and find out about exciting updates! Also visit their fundraising campaign to see what you can do to help: